Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Small Things

It has now been half an hour of class and it has taken me this long to realize that, for me, there is nothing that stands out. You could blame this on global warming and all the pollution that is dulling my brain or video games but I strongly believe that only we can be at blame. A while ago I was reading the paper and I noticed an article about how where you come from could help determine your grades in school. As I started reading I thought that it was all just someone’s opinion and was not backed up by any facts. The paper said that most children whose parents or grandparents came from southern china are very good at math. As I read on it explained that those whose parents worked in the rice fields were the one’s with better marks and that was because they put two and two together and found that if they worked hard they got paid more.

If you worked in a rice field you got paid more if you harvested more rice. In school it is the same story, if you work hard at writing a 2-3 paragraph story about what little things make you’re life better instead of slacking off and procrastinating you will probably get higher marks. Here in North America there is a general idea that things will simply fall into place and you don’t have to work for it. I myself can easily fall into the category of the people who slack off. Though I am trying to change that I am finding it much harder than I Originally thought it would be.

After racking my brain for anything that I am thankful for I realise that I actually have a lot to be thankful for. My grand mother needs hip replacement and ankle fusion, she can get it. I go to school, I can go to summer camps, and I am growing up in a safe environment away from child slavery and abuse. If I were asked if I wanted anything different I would be tempted to say I want a new Mac, a bigger TV, or a million dollars. Though all these things would be great after a while of having them I would feel guilty that I did not say; abolish slavery, cure all the diseases in the world, or have global peace. No matter what is thought of me I hope I leave this world with one thing done, and that is to have made someone happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment